Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Forgiveness

Ephesians 4:32 “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”

Colossians 3:13 “Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.”

Matthew 6:14-15 “If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.”

I have been hurt by someone very close to me. More than that person realizes, I'm sure. Family is forever, so I will forgive. It's the 'forgetting' that I have the hardest time with. Recently I've realized that if I don't forget, I'm not sure I've really been able to forgive. The Bible says that God does not "remember" our wickedness (Hebrews 8:12). God is all-knowing. God knows what occurred. However, having forgiven us, He treats us as if the sin had not occurred.

I need to find the strength to forgive and forget. I believe that God forgives my sins, so I need to remember that He will forgive her too. I need to learn how to not 'dwell' on sins, but to fill my mind with my blessings. I will forever be a work in progress....

1 comment:

lcm0709 said...

In my family (Italians from Brooklyn) they say "I forgive you but I'll not forget what you did." It's true, if you don't forget what you forgive you always kinda hold it against that person and thus there is no true forgiveness. The slate hasn't been wiped clean. Such a profound thought. I have struggled with forgiveness and LETTING GO! Thank you for putting the Truth out there because it is really what will set us free. That is, after all, why He came! Amen!

Laura :)
www.nosmallfeat.typepad.com