Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Bye Bye Summer...

The panic attack I had in my classroom last week, induced by the amount of work I still have to do, quickly reminded me that summer is over. :( And that makes me sad.

I have had such an amazing summer at home with my boy. We've spent days on the road, in the sun, in the water, and on the couch. He's super excited to be going into the first grade and I'm excited/anxious about starting my first year teaching. I know when school starts we will go back to our strict routines...school, homework, dinner, bath, book, prayers, bed. Chase (and Mommy) will thrive off of this routine and our relaxing days together will be long gone. In an effort to try to remember and say goodbye to this awesome summer, I made a list of 5 things that made this summer amazing....

1. The Water! We went to a local park with a few slides twice, went to White Water and ran around like I was a kid again, and spent countless day in the pool throwing Chase and watching him almost grow gills. He is more tan than I've ever seen him and he's such a great swimmer! With the summers in GA, we may be able to continue this on the weekends until Halloween!!

2. My pink bandanna. See number 1? The water led to several days of no makeup and letting my hair air dry. It was great to be able to wake up, throw the bandanna on and be done!

3. Parties. And lots of them! We had parties at the Worthans for Memorial Day and July 4th. We also had a great birthday party for Chase. (All of these also included #1). (And probably #2)! We played and swam and drank with friends. The pool is starting to be filled more with children than adults and I love it!

4. The Bachelorette. This season was great! Heather and I had a date night once a week and became fascinated by the amount of weirdos and romeos on this show. It was a fun way to have some adult time during our week, and Heather always had a late night snack for us!

5. School Supplies. This includes, but is not limited to, teacher websites, forums, blogs, professional development classes, classroom management books, lesson plans, frantic phone calls to Heather E., online shopping for supplies, TONS of to do lists...etc. I know this is supposed to be my summer vacation, but I couldn't help being drawn to every office/school supply in WalMart or online. I've made countless lists and watched the pile in my office grow until there was no room left (and I banned myself from all things school supplies related). The pile was a constant reminder that this wonderful summer is going to come to a screeching halt very, very soon.

Well. As of yesterday the pile is gone. Everything has been moved to my classroom and the pile was replaced by a computer and a small desk for Chase. I used to stare at that pile and get so anxious waiting for the day that it would be gone and in my classroom. Honestly, it's even more depressing with it gone. Summer is officially over. New Teacher orientation is tomorrow. Preplanning is next week. First day of school the next. This is what I have been waiting for, right? But I still can't help but feel sad to say goodbye to an awesome summer. Hopefully once I FINALLY get into my classroom (janitors...floors...DON'T ask.) I will get my mojo back and it will be an amazing school year.

Until then...I still have today. :) Maybe I'll throw on my pink banadana and play in the water with my boy!!

4 comments:

J-Mac said...

You are going to be a PHENOMENAL teacher! And then when you're done teaching me to be more organized, I bet you'll be an awesome 4th grade teacher too!

whatever_heather said...

I have loved this summer, too! We had so much fun with you guys. And just think, if I can avoid that whole "job thing", we can do it every year! Wooooo! I can't wait to come visit your class and see you in action. :)

Carrie Beauchamp said...

Summer is the best thing about being a teacher. YOu will have a great year. Is preplanning already next week? :)

Jess Addison said...

Carrie-preplanning is next week! School starts on Aug. 4th. Crazy!!